One of Ottawa's Greenest Hotels
Brookstreet recognizes the importance of managing the environmental impact of its business activities. Please refer to our Environmental Policy for details and see recent examples of our green initiatives below:
- A four out of five rating has been maintained by Brookstreet for both the Audubon Green Leaf Eco-Rating and the Green Key Global Eco-Rating Program.
- A four out of five rating has been achieved for the Green Key Meetings Program of The Hotel Association of Canada
- Brookstreet has chosen 100 per cent low-impact renewable electricity from Bullfrogpower, Canada’s leading 100 per cent green electricity provider. The decision to “bullfrogpower” the hotel’s meeting rooms, ballroom and lobby is one of the latest actions in a series of environmental initiatives implemented by the hotel—and one which helps Brookstreet reduce its impact on the environment and support the development of new wind power.
- Installation of energy-saving lights in Brookstreet’s secure underground garage, (two "chargepoint+" stations for electric vehicles and two additional "Tesla" charging stations).
- Brookstreet offers Electric Vehicle Charging in our underground parking garage; recently we have installed two ‘chargepoint+’ stations for electric vehicles and two additional ‘Tesla’ charging stations.
- Brookstreet has partnered with PressReader to reduce the amount of newspapers being thrown away. Rather than receiving a morning newspaper, guests are given complimentary access to PressReader, where they can download over 2,000 current day newspapers and magazines from over 100 countries onto their laptops or mobile device.
- iPad Wine List at our Perspectives Restaurant. Not only a fancy gadget, but also a great tool, this latest technology implementation increases convenience for guests and reduces dependency on printed matter. Perspectives guests receive an interactive, handheld device that offers wine selections by the bottle or the glass, all including details and photography of each wine label and up-to-date inventory status.
- Vivreau Pure Water produced at Brookstreet, allowing us to significantly reduce our carbon footprint and impact on the environment. Reusable glass bottles are sterilized onsite for purified sparkling and still water. By bottling Vivreau Pure Water on demand, Brookstreet reduces its requirement for delivered water by approximately 20,000 plastic bottles annually, thereby reducing transport pollution; as well as packaging waste associated with pre-bottled waters.
- Regular Waste audits, help us implement waste reduction actions; these included the implementation of organic waste collection, an extended recycling program, automated climate control systems, a paperless night audit and email receipt of all incoming faxes, and the removal of all high energy use accent lighting to name just a few. The second waste audit indicated double the diversion rate compared to the first audit.
- The Brookstreet Green Committee, started in 2006, actively organizes green initiatives throughout the hotel and sends out green alerts to educate Partners [staff] about energy efficient actions that they can take to make a difference.
- Brookstreet is a 100% smoke free hotel.
- Brookstreet has partnered with an eco-minded print supplier, who prints exclusively on FSC [Forest Stewardship Council] papers with a water-free eco-press and vegetable-based inks.
- There are many recycling programs throughout the hotel: in guest rooms, administration offices, kitchen and housekeeping.
- An automated climate control system reduces heating / air conditioning in unused guestrooms and meeting space.
- Removal of all high energy use accent lighting on floors.
- Progressive replacement of light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Turns off lighting and heating in guestrooms and meeting rooms which are not in use.
- Installation of infrared sensor in our kitchen overhead vents to reduce electricity use to on demand as well as reduce the amount of air requiring for re-conditioning.
- Encourages guests to decline housekeeping for multiple nights’ stays, to save water, electricity, natural gas and chemicals, and rewarding our ‘Green Guests’ with a $10 Food & Beverage credit for each day that housekeeping is declined.
- Replacement of traditional water dispenser in Flex Fitness Studio with a complete cooler & bottle filling station with water fountain to eliminate disposable paper cup waste.
- Coffee and tea lovers receive $0.10 off their hot beverage purchase when they bring their own mugs to B Café.
- Member of Savour Ottawa and Savour Ontario to support local producers thereby reducing energy required to make deliveries while supporting the local agricultural economy.